POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : top 2000 music : Re: top 2000 music Server Time
30 Sep 2024 03:22:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: top 2000 music
From: andrel
Date: 1 Jan 2009 14:06:45
Message: <495D14A7.9080306@hotmail.com>
On 01-Jan-09 16:40, Warp wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> 1       Queen                   Bohemian rhapsody
>
>   I must wonder about that choice myself as well. IMO Queen had much more
> epic songs, such as "I want it all", "I want to break free", "The show
> must go on" and perhaps the best known one, "We will rock you" (although
> that one has been abused way too much).

I am not a Queen fan, but I think all of these are straight and standard
pop songs. Chorus refrain chorus refrain repeat until bored. Bohemian
rhapsody is different and when it came out and was first shown on TV it
touched a great many people. I know it was one of the few songs that my
father was really impressed by, my wife told me that in the weeks after
she had seen it the first time she tried to watch every music program
hoping they would show it again. I think i did the same and so were
many, many others. So, if there is one Queen song that stands out from
all other Queen material it is this one. At least for my generation. As
I remarked to Andy, if you weren't there you will not be able to
understand what an impact this song had. Just as that I won't be able to
experience the shock of hearing Beethoven's fifth or Heartbreak Hotel or
Hey Jude for the first time.

Note I am writing this from a Dutch perspective, which is the only one I
have. It may be that in other countries Bohemian Rhapsody is perceived
differently, but here it is the one that stands out over all the other
work. BTW the same holds for Hotel California that is also perceived
here as the best Eagles' song. That is why they are at nrs 1 and 2, the
Beatles, Presley, or the Floyd don't have a change of getting close to 1
because everybody has it's own favorite.