POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : OMG - it works!! : Re: OMG - it works!! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:11:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OMG - it works!!
From: stbenge
Date: 30 Dec 2008 00:32:34
Message: <4959b272@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> "Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> Hey clipka (and everyone else who might be interested),
>>
>> There's a quick workaround for 3.7 radiosity.
>
> I'm actually not interested in quick workarounds, but getting the thing to
> ultimately work fine without them :)

Yeah, once you start using tricks to get what you want, you lose
flexibility.

>> 3.7's radiosity doesn't seem to like high count values,
>
> That's very interesting for me to hear. Can you describe what's wrong with it,
> and maybe post a sample scene?

No, I cannot. Recent tests don't seem to be showing any black splotches.
Maybe 3.7's radiosity has been fixed somewhat after all. It used to
happen when I rendered meshes with high-count radiosity. Strange black
patches would appear, and higher count values only made it worse. If I
run into it again, I'll post the relevant code.

>> #default{
>>  finish{ambient 0}
>>  normal{bumps .25 scale .001}
>> }
>
> Hm - sounds to me like you're actually using the normals to force more samples
> to be taken. Does this any good to rendering time?

Yes, that is what I'm doing. If you're having a hard time getting rid of
  radiosity's artifacts, the method can save the day. The render times
generally tend to be a bit higher, and you'll always see some of the
surface normal. Overall, the result is on par with many other types of
radiosity you see out there. You know, the ones with visual noise :)

Sam