POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:27:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 29 Dec 2008 09:36:44
Message: <4958e07c$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Distribution over a hemisphere is not enough for radiosity. There needs to be a
> particular bias towards the "zenith".

Do it like I do:

1. Choose a random point on a disc. (You can do this quickly by first
choosing a random point on square and then check if it is inside a circle).
2. Project it on a hemisphere.

Voila! There you have a cosine weighted random point on a hemishpere. No
need to do the cosine weighting anymore.

That is the method I use in ssRay. With 1600+ samples they are very well
distributed with a decent PRNG. If not you can try Halton sequence or
something similar to generate a more even distribution.