POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:20:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: andrel
Date: 29 Dec 2008 08:12:20
Message: <4958CD13.8010800@hotmail.com>
On 29-Dec-08 11:18, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> We sit down, and wait in confidence... :-)
>>
>> In my understanding, this should not be a problem to obtain as it is
>> part of the overall upgrading of povray.
>>
>> Have I said this? I would like to extend my sincere appreciation for
>> the effort you are clearly providing towards the next stage of our
>> all-acclaimed rendered: POV-Ray. Hurray!
>
> The redistribution of the beta source code is prohibited. There won't be
> a permission for anyone to distribute the beta source code or binary in
> any other form. The purpose of making the beta source code available is
> to get submissions of bug fixes that will be added to the official beta
> source code and beta binaries - assuming they work, of course ;-)

I think a relevant question here is: what is a distribution of source.
If clipka sends the source or a binary by regular mail to e.g. Thomas is
that distribution? or must it be publicly available to be one. If it is
the first then collaboration to implement and test improvements of beta
source is effectively impossible. I can think of reasons to do it that
way. One would be that source in this beta (double beta?) stage should
be coordinated by a POV team member. But, which one should that be? In
this specific case of radiosity: who is coordinating that and would that
person in this case give permission to create a test version for a
selected group to use?

Another one: if clipka had started from the 3.16 source would that have
made a difference?