POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 13:20:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: scott
Date: 18 Dec 2008 02:51:33
Message: <494a0105$1@news.povray.org>
>> Hmm, then some 3rd party releases firmware to copy DRM protected songs
>> to non-DRM protected format using the hardware, and the OEM gets sued to
>> bankruptcy for promoting such software to be developed :-)
>
> Well yes. Also Intel and AMD should be sued for selling processors able
> to do calculation needed in such things. Not to mention OS developers
> (MS, Apple, various Linux groups, Linus himself, etcetc) for making a
> software base that makes its part on making copying stuff possible. And
> harddrive makers, for making devices to *store* such illegal copies! Oh
> my, how can those companies do this for the community, it's so bad!

Yeh but AMD, Intel etc have not signed a license agreement for their CPUs
with some DRM company that stipulates they go to reasonable efforts to
prevent the DRM system being reverse engineered.  Typically this means your
software shouldn't store any important decryption keys in a fixed RAM
location for any significant length of time, and that access to the hardware
is limited by eg cutting off unused IC pins or covering the IC itself in
some very-hard-to-remove-without-destroying-the-IC resin.

But yes, if MS decided that on Vista they would offer a mechanism to save
DRM files unencrypted, I imagine there would be some law suits :-)