POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 13:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 18 Dec 2008 01:42:57
Message: <4949f0f1$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Mueen Nawaz wrote:
>>     You have a checking account with $1000.
>
> And where did *that* come from?
>
>> It has a way to handle money coming in from nowhere (e.g.
>> someone giving you money), so I'm sure you can throw away some as well...
>
> Not in double-entry bookkeeping.  If someone gives you money, it comes
> from the "we owe that person money" account. :-)

	I'm not getting the fussiness.

	When you start any accounting, don't you have some initial funds to
start with?

	In any case, just so that you know, the official way in Gnucash to do
this is that it has an "Opening Balance" account when you first begin.
That contains all that you begin with. You then move it from that
account to cash, checking, saving, credit cards, and any other
assets/liabilities you have. As in if you have $1000 in your checking
account, you'd move $1000 from the opening balance account to checking.

	I think that should satisfy double entry bookkeeping. I use that
account for stuff like beginning balance, money people give me (all 0 of
them), lottery winnings, etc. I pretty much ignore that account except
for those few instances.

	(And yes, you can rename that account to whatever you want, and
probably create multiple such accounts if you want to organize).

--
"I'm a lawyer." "Honest?" "No, the usual kind."

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl