POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 21:29:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 17 Dec 2008 11:13:56
Message: <49492544$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 00:05:41 -0800, Chambers wrote:

> The first time I tried it was in 1996, I believe.  Each and every time,
> I've had to work several hours to get my video card, sound card and
> internet access working correctly.  And I didn't exactly have exotic
> hardware.  (As far as the video card goes... no, I don't consider 80x25
> text mode to be "working correctly," even if I can technically run Linux
> with it.  If my card supports 3D, I want a 3D accelerated driver, which
> means going to out 3rd party sites (after getting 'Net access to work!)
> and hunting for a driver, then trying to convince it to install on my
> system.  This has never been as straightforward as it should be for
> me... maybe I just have bad luck or something)

What's the most recent you tried?

openSUSE 11.0 actually includes the ATI and NVidia repositories in the
selection list at installation time - you have to select it, but once you
do, those drivers get downloaded and installed automatically.

11.1 is due out either today or tomorrow and I hear it's improved on 11.0
in that regard.

Jim