POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 03:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 16 Dec 2008 21:23:25
Message: <4948629d$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:16:00 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>
>> There's even an iPhoneLinux project...
>>
>> (although I think they haven't yet got it to *work at all*, last I
>> checked they were just playing with bootloaders)
>
> I find it amusing that some 3rd party firmware for my MP3 player works
> better than the firmware written by the people who designed and
> manufactured the player...

Now that's just crazy talk, after all, surely it must be impossible to
figure out the interfaces on a proprietary hardware device like a Sansa
or an iPod and replace the firmware with something written completely
from scratch.  That'd take, like, 50 years to figure out even with
documentation, but there's no documentation available unless you are
Steve Jobs' first-born kid, and even then there's an NDA.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;-)

Jim