POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 05:15:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Darren New
Date: 16 Dec 2008 18:48:14
Message: <49483e3e@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
>  > Every bug and glitch has to be precisely
>> replicated, or some lump of software somewhere that depends on those
>> bugs won't work right.
>
> Only the bugs and glitches that some piece of software you want to
> support depends on needs to be implemented.

Actually, even more. It's obvious that WINE leaves *tons* of stuff
unimplemented. CreateFile() does not update performance counters, doesn't
check group policy, probably doesn't do *any* sort of security checks
(beyond what Linux does), doesn't write audit logs, and maybe doesn't
support UNC path names, probably doesn't support the various flags that
CreateFile() natively supports like surpressing read-ahead or locking the
file from deletion, probably doesn't support compressed or encrypted files,
doesn't update any sort of USN logs, and so on.

So it's clear it's not necessary to duplicate the API precisely. You only
have to duplicate it well enough to fool the software using it. You probably
don't have to distinguish between (for example) not having permission to
open the file and not having permission to traverse the directories above
the file.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)