POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 07:20:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 16 Dec 2008 11:25:55
Message: <4947d693$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Weeell... the guys who made the updated firmware for *my* device also
> offer more or less the same program for several *rival* devices too. Not
> sure how that works commercially...

Why would it make *your* device sell less? It still has the original
firmware in place, so the people who buy it now would still buy it. Also
the people who want this 3rd party firmware to run as well as possible
would buy it, if they actually supported that 3rd party.

Let's take a secondary example. Most PC's comes with Windows
pre-installed. Does the possibility of installing Linux lower their
sales? Or PS2, does it sell less because of the fact that Sony sells (or
at least has sold) Linux-developing packets for it?

-Aero