POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 15 Dec 2008 23:13:10
Message: <49472ad6$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
>> 	Except a lot of those Linux apps.
>
> And guess what?  I don't miss any of them.  I can't remember the last time
> I needed a program to do something, did a google search, and only found a
> Linux app that wouldn't run under Windows.
>
> Fact is, for the foreseeable future, I'm writing Linux off and sticking
> with Windows.  It does what I want, and better than the critics give it

	OK - to each his own. I long stopped trying to get people to switch to
Linux, because I figured if they're happy with Windows, why switch?

	That and a number of other experiences taught me something about the
market. People don't choose the "better" product if they're using one
that's "good enough". For a few people (don't know about you), I believe
Linux will benefit them, but their lives simply are not all that bad in
Windows - hence no change. However, the catch as you noticed, is that
with Linux, you really do have to put in the effort to get those gains.
There are annoyances to overcome (although once you overcome them, you
don't deal with them again - not sure if that's true for Windows). And
it's hard for people (including me in other spheres of life) to put in
the effort for gains that are not immediately obvious.

	For me, Linux works better than Windows as an environment. I do like
the apparent greater flexibility in work environments you get with it.

	As for software, I think a good financial app is the only non-game
thing I lack in Linux. Of all the things I feel I need, I somehow doubt
Windows has anything (free) to offer that's necessarily a great
improvement over what I had in Linux.

	I could probably find a number of things I prefer in Linux over
Windows, if I really thought about them. But they're more or less
subjective, and you may not feel the same way about them. Additionally,
I probably don't care much for many of the touted benefits of Windows
(other than games).

--
Psychoceramics: The study of crackpots.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z