POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:17:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Dec 2008 16:34:40
Message: <4946cd70$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:37:48 -0500, nemesis wrote:

>> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 19:22:31 -0600, Mueen Nawaz wrote:
>> >  Significant and impressive. However, chances are that if you have
>> > well known big budget game and want to get it running under Wine, it
>> > likely won't work.
>>
>> There are better chances now that it will than ever before.  And if you
>> go for Cedega (or Transgaming, or whatever they're calling themselves
>> now), they've expanded the supported function calls so there's actually
>> a very good chance it *will* work.
>
> A work colleague used to play WoW on his Debian box at home.  Wine, of
> course.

I used to play Neverwinter Nights back when that was popular, and it
actually ran *better* under WINE than on native Windows.  I had two
identical Dell C640 laptops, one with Windows, one with Linux (RedHat 9,
IIRC, so not even something recent - well, recent then, but you know what
I mean).  The Linux one consistently outperformed the Windows one.

Jim