POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Curiosity : Re: Curiosity Server Time
30 Sep 2024 09:17:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curiosity
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 15 Dec 2008 09:45:12
Message: <49466d78$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Jig system?
>
> What are you trying to cut? Kryptonite??

Jigging -- A means of holding something together while you work on it.
Tack on another 10K for the rolling press... btw. (You have to press the
plates into the truss.)

The saws cut ordinary wood, but they're robotic. Lots of engineering and
programming time goes into them.

> More to the point, apparently IM machines are rated on the amount of
> pressure they can clamp the mould down with - measured in tonnes. (!)
> Apparently the cheap ones manage 3-4 tonnes, and the best reach 6,000
> tonnes or more. O_O

If you can find it in your country, check out the show "How Its Made"
Here it appears on the Discovery Science network. They detail many
industrial processes. It blows my mind how these huge presses seem to
stamp out such things as screwdrivers with nearly no effort.

The U.S. mint apparently uses 84 tons of pressure to press a coin. All
applied in an instant! Hundreds of times a minute.

> You as well?
>
> (Actually, you should be glad it even *has* a MIDI port in the first
> place! Most cheap keyboards don't.)

Well, I had aspirations of creating music on the computer a long time
ago, and decided a MIDI keyboard was the appropriate input device. That
didn't work out... :)

--
~Mike