POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Calculating water flow : Re: Calculating water flow Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:17:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calculating water flow
From: Alain
Date: 13 Dec 2008 18:26:15
Message: <49444497$1@news.povray.org>
Kirk Andrews nous illumina en ce 2008-12-12 21:12 -->
> Some success, I think.
>
> This is a return to my original method.  I rendered a 16 bit tga from the
> original function, then made a render another 16 bit tga from a render where
> the terrain was flat white and my water cones were black.
>
> In a separate file, I subtract the second function from the first to create this
> hf, here with a resolution of 2000x2000.  I achieved better results when I
> blurred the water function a little.
>
> It doesn't do any global erosion, but I think it does a nice job of making
> gullies and rivers.  I could place a second hf without the erosion just
> slightly below the first to fill in the rivulets with some kind of water
> texture.

Good, but with a problem: the streams are jutting up from the surrounding terrain...
So, maybe that instead of substracting, you should add, or substract a black
terrain with white or gray water.
You should also concidere that streams on steep slopes tend to be narrow, and
getting broader on gentle slopes.

When you get a pond or lake, try increasing the level until you get to a point
where the edge hit a lower point, and start a new stream there. That's the way
lakes form. Water flow from high to low altitude. When it reatch the bottom of a
"bowl", it acumulate, the level rises, and, eventualy reatch a low area on it's
perimeter from where it can continue down.

--
Alain
It is the passion that is in a kiss that gives to it its sweetness; it is the