POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 11:26:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Dec 2008 13:08:27
Message: <4943fa1b$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Why should it even take that long?

Physics?  There's a certain upper limit on (say) how fast disks can spin up,
how fast you can poll a USB root, how fast you can initialize gigabytes of
memory, etc.

Maybe if you compiled your code for exactly precisely the hardware you were
going to use, you could go faster. But you'd be SOL if you spilled soda on
your keyboard and had to plug one in via USB to get your data off.

> By the way, how hard would it be to keep a cheap battery on the
> motherboard and, when the computer powers down, keep the RAM running long
> enough to copy it all into flash memory?

Heck, just use core memory and don't worry about it. ;-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)