POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Calculating water flow : Re: Calculating water flow Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:13:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calculating water flow
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 13 Dec 2008 08:49:47
Message: <4943bd7b@news.povray.org>
That's really interesting Kirk, and it's amazing you had the patience to
try that in POV :-)

One of my first project in C++ has been doing something like that. It's
been ages since I've played with it and I don't remember all the
details... But I remember I had the lake problem and solved it by
filling them allup to the point where they overflow.

I looked into papers about erosion and in the end I was able to simulate
global erosion as well. You can see the result in this animation done
with POV-Ray:
http://mink.chewa.net/Erosion.mpg

(I should do it again and adjust the frame rate, it's too quick :-\ )

I also used the same program to get more "realistic" images in Terragen
(first image) and a played a bit with it in POV-Ray as well (second
image). I wanted to procedurally add detail in POV-Ray as a function of
image maps  generated by my program, but unfortunately it was too slow
to be really usable.

I'd have to dig in the old code again to give more specific help.
Unfortunately since it was my first project it's not really easy to read...

Good luck !

--
Vincent

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ridges2.jpg' (160 KB) Download 'ridges86.jpeg.jpg' (103 KB)

Preview of image 'ridges2.jpg'
ridges2.jpg

Preview of image 'ridges86.jpeg.jpg'
ridges86.jpeg.jpg