POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : a seamless heightfield by GeoControl : Re: a seamless heightfield by GeoControl Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:12:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: a seamless heightfield by GeoControl
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 13 Dec 2008 03:14:04
Message: <49436ecc$1@news.povray.org>
"Christian Froeschlin" <chr### [at] chrfrde> schreef in bericht

> What exactly is it you wish to achieve within POV-Ray?
>
> As far as I can see, if you use an external heightfield,
> its either seamless or not, and if you have some kind of
> function for the terrain you don't really need tiles as
> you already get arbitrary extent and resolution?
>
> But it's an interesting construct, I never thought of
> projective planes in terms of landscape tiling - I was
> actually thrown off track for a bit by the unusual array
> directions but I'd still say its a projective plane ;)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_polygon

You are perfectly right on all points. In fact, I didn't think this through
obviously as indeed, in POV-Ray, you can use a function and not use tiles at
all. So consider my question as gone down the drain.

Thanks for that page on projective planes. My math knowledge is not up to
understanding this, but I have an idea now how GeoControl uses this.

Thomas