POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 09:26:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Dec 2008 13:48:10
Message: <4942b1ea$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> I think Vista has a feature where it saves the RAM contents to disk and gets
> into sleep (not hibernate) mode.

Yeah. They stole that from OSX. ;-)

> Or, maybe, the feature was that when it's running low on battery, it wakes
> up, saves RAM to disk, and hibernates.

That's the old way that XP uses. Works poorly if you set up the timings
wrong, as waking and spinning up the disk and such kills the battery half
way thru hibernating if you do it wrong.

In Vista, sleep *looks* like it goes to sleep (turns off screen and
speakers, etc, rather than the XP way of showing you a progress bar), then
saves the RAM to disk, then actually goes to sleep. You can set it to go to
full hibernate after some time, so you save lots of battery if you're not
coming back to it.

Then there's "Away mode", which means hitting the sleep button turns off the
screen and speakers, tells anyone who cares that you're "away", and then ...
leaves the power on.  For people who are running servers on their machine
but want it to look like they're being energy-efficient, I guess.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)