POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Moss texture : Re: Moss texture Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:15:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moss texture
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 12 Dec 2008 03:51:08
Message: <494225fc$1@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> schreef in bericht

> Looks quite nice, especially the dried-up areas contrasted with the more
> greenish ones. I'm intrigued by the copy-and-transform thing you did. Am I
> correct in assuming that a duplicate copy of the object has been
> translated
> slightly upward and made somewhat transparent?  That's what my eyes tell
> me,
> although the effect is very subtle.

Yes, that is exactly what I did. The lens shape at the back is just one copy
of the basic shape, slightly translated upwards; the height_field in front
consists of three instances: (1) a basic shape, (2) a "lower moss" shape
very slightly scaled up, (3) a semi-tranparant "upper moss" translated very
slightly upwards. Maybe a bit primitive, but it works quite well I guess.
You can also scale the basic shape a tiny bit of course, or translate it
around to get different effects. The texture is not meant for really close
up of course, but for viewing at some distance it is allright. A slight
drawback of this technique is that rendering with radiosity is rather slow.

Thomas