POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Calculating water flow : Re: Calculating water flow Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:14:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calculating water flow
From: stbenge
Date: 11 Dec 2008 19:12:50
Message: <4941ac82@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C489e1fe2@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=290287&toff=100

> Ah yes, now I do remember that previous post!  I thought someone had starting
> working on something like this.  My first attempt tried using the normals also,
> and it wasn't working nearly as nicely as the lowest point version.
>
> You're quite right.  Instead of actually making the hf, why not just define an
> initial function, and then simply evaluate the function at the appropriate
> points?  The problem then is this--how do you feed the erosion data back into
> the function?
>
> I am imagining a few possibilities, but none seem as simple as it should be:
>
> -- you could create the cones and render with an orthographic camera to create a
> 16 bit tga (to be add/subtraced/averaged with the original hf function).

This is pretty much the way I planned on doing it. It simplifies the
process, and with several animation frames I can erode the pattern in
steps. This just leaves two steps: one for the creation of the height
field's pattern, and one for rendering the height field.

To this end, I just now managed to adapt the Round_Cone2() macro to
connect two +y cones with triangles. This gives me an object with a
smooth a transition between the cones and triangles. The object makes a
ridge which can be rotated in the direction of the lower point. The
ridge can then be used to subtract height from the pattern to create
sharp gullies. I have attached an image showing what the ridge looks like.

Sam

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'ridge.jpg' (9 KB)