POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 05:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Dec 2008 17:35:15
Message: <494195a3$1@news.povray.org>
>> Things have improved since 2006 then. ;-) I wasted a whole day trying to
>> get the nVidia drivers to work...
>
> 2006 is about 4 generations ago for openSUSE.

Actually is was (IIRC) Debian at the time, but whatever. ;-)

> Yeah, things have changed
> since then.  The ATI drivers used to be a royal pain the ass to install
> and configure.  Not anymore.

All I remember is that even after endless fiddling, I couldn't get 3D
acceleration to work. (Actually producing a picture didn't require any
special attention at all.)

>> (Of course, a few months later I upgraded my graphics card, making my
>> Linux partition non-bootable. That was roughly when I decided to just
>> not bother fixing it.)
>
> Probably rebuilding the kernel?  Otherwise, I can't see how a graphics
> card change would affect the hard drive at all.

OK, to be completely clear: It booted, but X wouldn't run.

>> Sure. And it'll probably continue to get larger over time. But right
>> now, it's still fairly modest by comparison.
>
> You must be looking at different places than I.  Go have a look at
> sourceforge.net, freshmeat.net, and at the repository list for openSUSE
> at the number of packages available.  There's TONS of software for Linux.

Most of which is only marginally functional.

Don't get me wrong, there *is* some seriously quality software out
there. But there's also a lot of stuff that doesn't work very well.
(E.g., klogic. It does almost exactly what I want. But it doesn't *work*
properly. It randomly segfaults, and sometimes it GIVES YOU THE WRONG
ANSWER. It's also fiddly to use for no good reason.)

Anyway, how much *commercial* software (such as big-budget games) are
there for Linux?

> Then add to that Windows apps that work with WINE (and that is growing
> significantly every month).

It's news to me that *anything* works under WINE yet. (But then,
admittedly it's not something I follow closely. If I want to run Windows
software, I just run Windows...)

> Now tell me again that you have more choice on Windows than on Linux.

Most of the software *I* want runs only under Windows. Not all of it
(there are some notable exceptions), but most of it.

Of course, it depends what you're trying to do with your PC...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/