POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Organs: For the forum mascot : Re: Organs: For the forum mascot Server Time
30 Sep 2024 05:20:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Organs: For the forum mascot
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 11 Dec 2008 17:17:36
Message: <49419180@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Jim Holsenback wrote:
>
>> Hey I knew that .... was a roadie in my youth ;-)
>
> This has always bothered me... What the heck is a "roadie"?!

Being a "roadie" is an American hobby/pastime similar in spirit to a
combination of traveler and stamp collector.  The idea is that one
collects pictures of themselves standing on or alongside some as diverse
and far spread a range of American roads as possible.  Most often these
photos are hung up on a large map of the US pinned to the location they
were taken, but some people opt to make standard photo albums or
whatever instead.

Sometimes people will opt to have a theme to these trips, such as
visiting roads mentioned in songs (eg. route 66), or roads that have
some particular historical significance (a popular one being to cover as
many of the places visited by John `Roadie the Red' Bakerfield as
possible in one month).  I suspect it's stuff Jim learned on or for such
a trip that he was referring to.

Anyway, it probably sounds a bit odd to you British folk, but that's
what you get when you have a country with highways that stretch almost
uninterrupted for thousands of miles!