POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 05:18:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Dec 2008 16:46:02
Message: <49418a1a$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:12:32 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> I meant there are no Linux drivers for high-end hardware like
>>> expensive graphics cards. Clearly there *are* Linux drivers for lots
>>> of other things.
>>
>> No Linux drivers for what high-end expensive graphics cards, exactly?
>
> I didn't say "no", I said "few". And I was making a generalisation.

And a generalization that at least in the X world is not accurate.  Just
because it's a generalization doesn't mean it's correct.

>> Most of those are now Nvidia or ATI IIRC, and there are Linux drivers
>> that support the majority of those cards, even with 3D (though you
>> often have to go to a proprietary kernel module for it).  I use both
>> the ATI and Nvidia drivers, so it's not exactly accurate to say that
>> those cards don't work well with Linux.
>
> Things have improved since 2006 then. ;-) I wasted a whole day trying to
> get the nVidia drivers to work...

2006 is about 4 generations ago for openSUSE.  Yeah, things have changed
since then.  The ATI drivers used to be a royal pain the ass to install
and configure.  Not anymore.

> (Of course, a few months later I upgraded my graphics card, making my
> Linux partition non-bootable. That was roughly when I decided to just
> not bother fixing it.)

Probably rebuilding the kernel?  Otherwise, I can't see how a graphics
card change would affect the hard drive at all.

>>> And by "a few" I meant more games and applications rather than
>>> drivers.
>>
>> There's quite a large selection of software.  It may not be WoW, but
>> it's out there.
>
> Sure. And it'll probably continue to get larger over time. But right
> now, it's still fairly modest by comparison.

You must be looking at different places than I.  Go have a look at
sourceforge.net, freshmeat.net, and at the repository list for openSUSE
at the number of packages available.  There's TONS of software for Linux.

Then add to that Windows apps that work with WINE (and that is growing
significantly every month).  Now go find a Linux binary application that
runs on Windows without something like Cygwin.

Now tell me again that you have more choice on Windows than on Linux.

Jim