POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 03:15:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Dec 2008 13:12:30
Message: <4941580e$1@news.povray.org>
>> I meant there are no Linux drivers for high-end hardware like expensive
>> graphics cards. Clearly there *are* Linux drivers for lots of other
>> things.
>
> No Linux drivers for what high-end expensive graphics cards, exactly?

I didn't say "no", I said "few". And I was making a generalisation.

> Most of those are now Nvidia or ATI IIRC, and there are Linux drivers
> that support the majority of those cards, even with 3D (though you often
> have to go to a proprietary kernel module for it).  I use both the ATI
> and Nvidia drivers, so it's not exactly accurate to say that those cards
> don't work well with Linux.

Things have improved since 2006 then. ;-) I wasted a whole day trying to
get the nVidia drivers to work...

(Of course, a few months later I upgraded my graphics card, making my
Linux partition non-bootable. That was roughly when I decided to just
not bother fixing it.)

>> And by "a few" I meant more games and applications rather than drivers.
>
> There's quite a large selection of software.  It may not be WoW, but it's
> out there.

Sure. And it'll probably continue to get larger over time. But right
now, it's still fairly modest by comparison.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/