POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 03:14:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 11 Dec 2008 09:46:35
Message: <494127cb@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Yeh I figured that out by the end of reading your post, so what are the
> pros and cons of loadable modules compared to drivers embedded in the
> kernel?  If needing to install an embedded driver requires recompiling
> the kernel, why not just use a module instead - wouldn't it be much
> quicker to install?

Yes, it is, Module can also be unloaded and reloaded, which usually
leads to resetting the device itself. Therefore jammed device or driver
(module) won't end by the whole computer needing a reboot.

Basically only pro for built-in drivers instead of modules is that they
are automatically available. If you'll eg. compile your SATA-drivers as
module, you'll need to load them before you can find HD's. While the
modules are on the HD, you'll need to get them to memory before that,
which means you'll need to do initrd (or initramrd oslt, which is easier
today IIUC).

So, the easy but still efficient basics: disk and RAID -drivers
built-in, others as module.

-Aero