POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 00:07:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Invisible
Date: 11 Dec 2008 05:58:46
Message: <4940f266$1@news.povray.org>
Severi Salminen wrote:

> My kernel size is about 1,4MB and compiling it takes a few minutes on
> Core2Duo system. So it does not take long at all. If you forgot one
> driver, the recompile takes even less as not everything has to be
> recompiled again.

I still remember compiling Gtk2hs on my laptop. Man, that took a long
time! Mind you, we're talking about a machine with a 32bit processor...
Plus, GTK+ is *huge*!

Still, I guess once you take the "kernel" and add 50,000 device drivers,
it's going to end up rather large. (And presumably even if you disable
something, it still has to do some minimal processing to see that it's
disabled.)

> Why?
>
> Because troubleshooting is easier as I know what is in the kernel and
> what is not. Loading it is marginally faster because I only use what I
> need. Booting is faster for the same reasons.

I would have thought changing the runlevel scripts would have a far
bigger impact...

> For the record: it takes only 11 seconds for my system to go from Grub
> menu to login (no X at that point). I use Gentoo.

For the record: my PC takes about 30 seconds just for the BIOS to finish
doing it's thing. I don't really know why... (Might have something to do
with the RAID functionallity I'm not using.)

I use Windows XP.