POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 00:03:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Severi Salminen
Date: 11 Dec 2008 05:30:58
Message: <4940ebe2$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Do you have *any idea* how long it takes to compile the Linux kernel? I
> mean, damn, how *big* is it?? I thought the final binary was only a few
> KB in size...

My kernel size is about 1,4MB and compiling it takes a few minutes on
Core2Duo system. So it does not take long at all. If you forgot one
driver, the recompile takes even less as not everything has to be
recompiled again.

Why?

Because troubleshooting is easier as I know what is in the kernel and
what is not. Loading it is marginally faster because I only use what I
need. Booting is faster for the same reasons.

For the record: it takes only 11 seconds for my system to go from Grub
menu to login (no X at that point). I use Gentoo.