POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Early morning w/ tree : Re: Early morning w/ tree Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Early morning w/ tree
From: Mike Hough
Date: 10 Dec 2008 17:37:04
Message: <49404490$1@news.povray.org>
As has already been pointed out, in my scene there really was no reason to
change intervals to 4 from 1. That was my lazy way of increasing the sample
size based on my understanding of how type 2 media works. My understanding
of type 3 is not so good though.

Intervals are sections of the ray along which samples are taken from the
camera (or is it the light? I forget) to the first object hit. Then samples
are taken within each interval up to the samples value. When I made type 2
media I just altered the existing code so that those samples were created at
even intervals within each interval rather than at random, which helped
smooth out some things. In essence it restored the way some of the old halo
and atmosphere worked in 3.0 and found it made some scenes look much better.

The total number of samples taken is min samples*intervals in type 2.
Looking at the docs I can see that more than one interval is not recommended
for type 3 media and max samples is ignored because it uses an antialiasing
method.