POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
1 Oct 2024 00:06:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 Dec 2008 13:10:57
Message: <49400631$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 18:05:30 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 12:03:06 +0000, Invisible wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, well... why bother supporting a platform that hardly anybody
>>> uses? *Clearly* it's more profitable to support only the most popular
>>> platforms. ;-)
>>>
>>> That's why no Linux drivers, no Linux games, no Linux apps...
>>>
>>> (Yes, I realise there are a few of these now, but still not that many.
>>> Yet.)
>>
>> This is not an accurate portrayal by any stretch.
>>
>> "no linux drivers" - as someone pointed out, especially as regards
>> legacy hardware support, Linux kicks Windows' ass.  The time it becomes
>> a problem is when the manufacturer won't release specifications for the
>> hardware so drivers can be created.
>>
>> "a few" is a poor characterization at best.
>
> I meant there are no Linux drivers for high-end hardware like expensive
> graphics cards. Clearly there *are* Linux drivers for lots of other
> things.

No Linux drivers for what high-end expensive graphics cards, exactly?
Most of those are now Nvidia or ATI IIRC, and there are Linux drivers
that support the majority of those cards, even with 3D (though you often
have to go to a proprietary kernel module for it).  I use both the ATI
and Nvidia drivers, so it's not exactly accurate to say that those cards
don't work well with Linux.

> And by "a few" I meant more games and applications rather than drivers.

There's quite a large selection of software.  It may not be WoW, but it's
out there.

Jim