POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 17:26:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Invisible
Date: 9 Dec 2008 04:43:03
Message: <493e3da7$1@news.povray.org>
>>> OpenOffice takes couple of hours IIRC.
>> ...and OpenOffice must be absolutely gigantic.
>
> Yes, it is a mammoth.
>
> grunka ~ # du -hs /var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/work/ooo/
> 2.6G    /var/tmp/portage/app-office/openoffice-3.0.0/work/ooo/

Please tell me that isn't 2.6 GB just for the source code...

> grunka src # du -hs linux-2.6.26-gentoo-r4/
> 316M    linux-2.6.26-gentoo-r4/
>
> That is non-compiled, non-configured set, ie. just kernel sources
> equipped with Gentoo's patchset. So yes, it is huge :).

Are you *kidding* me?? 300 MB just for the source code?!

Does it also make you coffee in the morning? :-P

>> Ah yes, I'm forgetting: The Linux "kernel" isn't just the OS kernel. How
>> silly of me...
>
> Linux kernel is a monolithic kernel, not a microkernel.

In other words, the Linux "kernel" isn't just the kernel, it's also all
the device drivers. No wonder it's so big.

>> (It probably contains drivers for every piece of hardware known to
>> mankind, even if you don't need it. And I'll bet even if you disable
>> those parts, it still has to process that part of the source code to
>> decide whether or not to compile it...)
>
> No, it doesn't :(. That's one reason why Windows is still much more
> widely used in workstations and especially in gaming computers.

Erm, no... I think you'll find that the reason why gaming computers use
Windows is that almost all games are written to run under Windows. :-P

I would suggest that DirectX is a way bigger reason than kernel support
for particular bits of hardware.