POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 15:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Dec 2008 18:02:55
Message: <493da79f$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 12:04:57 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Driver support beyond what's in your shipping kernel.
>
> I've added drivers that didn't need a kernel recompile. Admittedly, I
> don't think they showed up in the file system as such (i.e., they didn't
> show up in /dev), but I didn't need that.

Yeah, if you have module support compiled in, you only have to compile
the modules you need, and that does speed things up a bit.  If you're
using a monolithic kernel (more common in the "old days") without modular
support, then it was a rebuild.

I used to regularly build my kernels because I wanted features in newer
versions or add-on drivers that were written to a specific kernel release.

Jim