POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 13:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Warp
Date: 8 Dec 2008 17:36:06
Message: <493da155@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
>         8-10 minutes is not that long.

  Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, I think one common complaint in
the "big" industry about gcc is that it's a relatively slow compiler.
When you have millions of lines of code, and regardless of all the effort
you have put into minimizing the number of dependencies, there may still
be so many dependencies that even small changes to certain files can cause
enormous amounts of compilation. We are talking about hours at worst.

  This can certainly be a real pain if you are simply developing and
debugging the software rather than compiling the release version of it,
so compiling speed is in this situation much more important than the
quality of the generated code, and AFAIK gcc just isn't up to the task
in enormous projects because it's so slow.

  (OTOH, I have never read any benchmarks about the compilation speed of
different compilers, commercial and free. That would be an interesting read,
in fact.)

--
                                                          - Warp