POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 11:17:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 8 Dec 2008 14:39:57
Message: <493d780d$1@news.povray.org>
>> Building GCC on Sun systems was fun - IIRC, it compiled itself three
>> times, first time using the commercial compiler that came with the OS,
>> and then two separate passes with GCC itself to optimize its own code.
>
> Yep, the three-phase bootstrapping. I think the final step is building
> itself with itself and comparing both executables, to make sure everything
> worked.

I understand the Haskell compiler (GHC) does something similar. First,
you obtain a copy of GHC compiled into ANSI C. Then you use that to
compile the original Haskell source code for GHC.

The fun part, of course, as that was well as a working Haskell compiler,
you need a working Haskell runtime engine and a set of working Haskell
base libraries (which hook directly into the runtime and are partly
hard-wired into the compiler)... ;-)

Apparently building GHC is... nontrivial. And poorly-documented.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/