POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 11:16:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Dec 2008 13:48:17
Message: <493d6bf1$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 13:31:27 +0000, Invisible wrote:

> http://xkcd.com/456/
>
> Mmm... I did this.
>
> Do you have *any idea* how long it takes to compile the Linux kernel?

It depends.

On a lot of things, like how fast your system is, whether it's multi-core
(if made with -j that will do parallel compilation, speeding things up a
bit), how much memory you have, how fast your disk I/O channel is, memory
channel, etc.

> mean, damn, how *big* is it??

It depends.

On a lot of things, like which modules you compile into the kernel,
compile as kernel modules, or don't compile.  Also on which options you
actually enable.

> I thought the final binary was only a few
> KB in size...

It depends.

On my 64-bit system, the kernel is about 2.1 MB in size, but that doesn't
include 108 MB of modules for this specific kernel.

> Oddly, X11 also takes forever.

It's a lot of code, video drivers for many different types of cards.

> (It's no surprise however that Firefox and OpenOffice are slow as hell.
> Oh, and KDE... *very* slow!)
>
> Damn, I really don't know why the hell I did that...

Well, now you've learned something - LFS does take time. :-)

Jim