POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 05:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 8 Dec 2008 12:16:06
Message: <493d5656$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I still don't entirely "get" why you would ever recompile the OS kernel.
> I mean, all it does is memory allocation, interrupt scheduling, etc.
> What's to change?

	When I initially compiled the kernel after installing Gentoo, I had no
DVD drive, and was also short a lot of other hardware. So I turned those
options off. Later on, when I got certain hardware, I needed to enable
those options.

	Lately I've had to connect to work using a PPTP VPN (evil stuff). I
hadn't compiled PPTP support in the kernel. So: Recompile. Another time
I needed to use DAV. Not enabled in kernel - so I compiled.

	I don't do it often - probably 1-3 times a year.

--
If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl