POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 05:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 8 Dec 2008 12:13:46
Message: <493d55ca$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Do you have *any idea* how long it takes to compile the Linux kernel? I
> mean, damn, how *big* is it?? I thought the final binary was only a few
> KB in size...

	8-10 minutes is not that long. I've been running Gentoo for over 5
years on the same machine, so I can tell you how long it took for any
package I've ever compiled via Portage.

GTK+ 2.x takes about 40 minutes
xulrunner (which is the bulk of the Firefox compile): 1 hour.
Thunderbird: 1.5 hours
gimp: 40 minutes
glibc: 1 hour
xorg-server: 25 minutes

> Oddly, X11 also takes forever.

	For me, other things take a longer forever.

> (It's no surprise however that Firefox and OpenOffice are slow as hell.
> Oh, and KDE... *very* slow!)

	KDE need not be slow if you only compile what you want. I stopped using
DE's years ago, so now I only have a few KDE apps installed that I use.

--
If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl