POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 05:19:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Dec 2008 11:13:56
Message: <493d47c4$1@news.povray.org>
>> Exactly. "Normal" programs take less than 4 *seconds* to compile! o_O
>
> #define normal_program;
>
> It depends very much of the scale of the program.

Indeed yes.

Since even quite "large" programs take only a few seconds to compile,
the Linux kernel must be *huge*...

> OpenOffice takes couple of hours IIRC.

...and OpenOffice must be absolutely gigantic. But then, it's a pretty
complex bit of software, so you'd expect that. The Linux kernel's job
seems quite a bit simpler by comparison.

> Linux kernel inholds
> drivers for most of the hardware you're using (possibly even all of
> them), does memory allocating, process handling, networking,
> firewalling, RAID-handling, even cryptographic thingies.

Ah yes, I'm forgetting: The Linux "kernel" isn't just the OS kernel. How
silly of me...

(It probably contains drivers for every piece of hardware known to
mankind, even if you don't need it. And I'll bet even if you disable
those parts, it still has to process that part of the source code to
decide whether or not to compile it...)