POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 05:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 8 Dec 2008 11:03:29
Message: <493d4551$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> Do you have *any idea* how long it takes to compile the Linux kernel? I
>>> mean, damn, how *big* is it?? I thought the final binary was only a few
>>> KB in size...
>>
>> Usually 8-10 minutes IME.
>
> Exactly. "Normal" programs take less than 4 *seconds* to compile! o_O

#define normal_program;

It depends very much of the scale of the program. OpenOffice takes
couple of hours IIRC.

For comparison:
grunka linux # time emerge povray
-clip-
real    2m0.416s
user    1m15.329s
sys     0m40.495s

POV-Ray, as you surely know, "only" calculates images after all (Unix
version doesn't even have a GUI nor editor). Linux kernel inholds
drivers for most of the hardware you're using (possibly even all of
them), does memory allocating, process handling, networking,
firewalling, RAID-handling, even cryptographic thingies.

-Aero