POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 05:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: Invisible
Date: 8 Dec 2008 09:00:28
Message: <493d287c@news.povray.org>
Kyle wrote:
> That's funny.  Been there.

"...I'm too late." ;-)

>> Do you have *any idea* how long it takes to compile the Linux kernel?
>> I mean, damn, how *big* is it?? I thought the final binary was only a
>> few KB in size...
>
> The wait is even more fun the second time around, after you realize you
> forgot to configure a necessary driver into your custom kernel. :D

I still don't entirely "get" why you would ever recompile the OS kernel.
I mean, all it does is memory allocation, interrupt scheduling, etc.
What's to change?

Also... Gentoo is the only Linux distro I've ever seen where compiling
the kernel was actually successful. Every other distro managed to either
spit cryptic error messages at me, or just leave me with a nonbootable
system.