POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Learning about Proximity patterns : Re: Learning about Proximity patterns Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:10:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Learning about Proximity patterns
From: stbenge
Date: 7 Dec 2008 17:59:44
Message: <493c5560@news.povray.org>
Kirk Andrews wrote:
> Thanks to Sam for introducing me to the concept.  I had wanted to do something
> like that before, but had never thought of using averaging an object pattern.
> Some initial results:

Kirk,

That looks nice! It definitely has an aged appearance :) Is the object
CSG? I'm guessing it is, since you averaged object patterns together to
get the proximity effect. This would look even better in a complete scene ;)

I have an array of 251 points set in a regular spherical/cubic fashion
that I use for this very purpose. It effectively distributes the object
pattern in 3D space, thus reducing any inefficiencies arising from
complete randomization. A little randomization, though, helps avoid
other artifacts associated with such a regular pattern. Attached is a
pic showing how the elements are placed.

Sam

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'pts_sphere.jpg' (21 KB)