POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Erosion in POV? : Re: Erosion in POV? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Erosion in POV?
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 6 Dec 2008 03:41:40
Message: <493a3ac4$1@news.povray.org>
"Kirk Andrews" <kir### [at] tektonartcom> schreef in bericht
> I've struggled for a long time to try and achieve an erosion effect in POV
> that
> is the least bit convincing.  I'm still not there, but perhaps I've made
> some
> headway.  I've been using proximity functions to simulation a little
> erosion.
> Maybe you know some better ways?

Not easy overall. Until now, I have mainly used the f_ridge(),
f_ridged_mf(), and f_hetero() functions as a basis for decent erosion
features in isosurfaces. This is done also for instance by the program
Leveller. However, that is not always convincing. Ideally, one would like to
take a pre-defined landscape and apply erosion functions to it to wear it
down and apply a sediment apron around standing ridges. That is basically
what programs like GeoControl or World Machine are doing I believe, and very
convincingly so.

Thomas