POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting look at CPU performance : Re: Interesting look at CPU performance Server Time
30 Sep 2024 05:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting look at CPU performance
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Dec 2008 14:05:20
Message: <49343570$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   In the good old days the CPU and the RAM had the same speed.

Some even clocked the memory faster than the CPU, which is where you got
things like "I/O Channel Processors" (aka "IOPs") on the mainframes. You'd
give the IOP a list of sectors to read and where to put them, and it would
interleave the access with what the processor was accessing.  (The Amiga did
things like this too, with the "blitter" and other chips.)

>   I suppose a huge percentage of development resources have been put
> into solving the problem of how to feed the CPU with data as fast as
> it can eat it.

It's going to be difficult, if the CPU is running up against speed-of-light
delays. About the only thing you can do is make things smaller or 3D. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)