POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : superlinear transformations : Re: superlinear transformations Server Time
29 Apr 2024 21:50:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: superlinear transformations
From: Warp
Date: 24 Nov 2008 12:06:01
Message: <492adef9@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Hmm I don't think nonlinear transformations would cause the ray to be a
> curve.

  Well, the very definition of "non-linear transformation" *is* that
straight lines don't necessarily remain straight after the transformation.

  Conversely the very definition of "linear transformation" is that any
straight line remains straight after the transformation.

> Non-linear transf. are already possible in isosurfaces.

  In the same sense as non-linear transformations are "possible" for
triangle meshes (although not really, but almost).

  You are not really transforming the isosurface object. You are modifying
its function, which is a different thing (from the point of view of
raytracing). You can't do that for other primitives.

> All you need is a different matrix for each pixel. Or rather, instead of
> using a matrix you multiply with, use a generic function.

  Simply changing the direction of the ray according to a function, while
keeping the ray straight, is *not* enough to achieve non-linear
transformations of objects.

--
                                                          - Warp