POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : superlinear transformations : Re: superlinear transformations Server Time
30 Apr 2024 01:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: superlinear transformations
From: scott
Date: 24 Nov 2008 04:42:58
Message: <492a7722$1@news.povray.org>
> Hmm I don't think nonlinear transformations would cause the ray to be a
> curve.

Of course they would, if I apply the following transformation to a sphere:

x -> x
y -> y^3
z -> z

Then it's impossible to convert this to a "straight ray intersecting with a
unit sphere at the origin" problem, which is what POV does for all linear
transformations.

> Non-linear transf. are already possible in isosurfaces.

Yes, and they are much slower than rendering primitives like a sphere and
take setting up to get correct results.  Primitives just work, fast.