POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Feature Request - Hierarchal Instancing : Re: Feature Request - Hierarchal Instancing Server Time
1 May 2024 08:58:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Feature Request - Hierarchal Instancing
From: Warp
Date: 22 Nov 2008 02:07:24
Message: <4927afab@news.povray.org>
slongay <slo### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> This works but the myLeaves mesh takes up a substantial amount of memory
> unnecessarily as each leaf within it is just an affine transformation of the
> same mesh.

  Unless your leafMesh is rather large, I don't think there is a significant
amount of memory saving if you make instances of it, each one having an
internal transformation matrix, compared to duplicating those triangles
inside a mesh object. An object instantiation (which consists of a relatively
large amount of data, including a transformation matrix) requires a fair
amount of memory. Although I must admit I don't know how many triangles a
mesh must have before it becomes more memory consuming.

--
                                                          - Warp