POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Gamma correction of input colours/image files : Re: Gamma correction of input colours/image files Server Time
17 May 2024 21:36:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma correction of input colours/image files
From: scott
Date: 19 Nov 2008 08:21:11
Message: <492412c7@news.povray.org>
> Use display_color rgb 0.5 and povray would do an inverse correction based
> on
> display_gamma to store it internally something like 0.217

Exactly what I was asking for.  That way if you see a colour like 255,128,64
used on a web page, or maybe it's your company's corporate colour, or maybe
you grabbed it from a photo, whatever, you should be able to use that colour
directly in SDL and get the same colour out no matter what output gamma
settings you are using.

> Images as maps for heightfields, color/texture maps
>
> 1. I want 128 in the image to represent 50% height, or 0.5 in the
> color_map/texture_map
>
> When loading the image, ignore any file gamma and let RGB 128,128,128 be
> internally treated as 0.5

Yup, makes total sense for height fields.

> Images as images/textures:
> 2. I want 128 input to represent 128 output
>
> When loading the image, do not do any gamma correction based on file gamma
> so
> 128 loads internally as 0.5.  Then with the 0.5 do a correction like with
> display_color, so that 0.5 becomes corrected to 0.217 if display_gamma is
> 2.2

I think this would be the most used situation, if someone uses an image they
have made in a photo editor, or taken with their camera, or rendered
previously with gamma correction in POV, they want the colours to be the
same in the POV rendered scene as the original colours appear on their
monitor.  For this reason, POV should use the inverse of display_gamma for
the input.