POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Too much free time? : Re: Too much free time? Server Time
30 Sep 2024 07:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Too much free time?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 Nov 2008 14:13:48
Message: <492070ec$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:

> Anyway, complex fugues generally employ simple melodic patterns, then, just make
> it sound in 3/4 voices at the same time, inverted, bottom-up and so forth.  One
> of the most complex was written by Beethoven for the end of his Hammerklavier
> piano sonata, the whole work a complete masterpiece.

I tent to wonder at what point this all becomes a theoretical exercise
rather than a sound that's actually enjoyable to listen to.

Bach's Toccata and Fugue is very nice, but it's frustratingly difficult
to play it in a way that it sounds impressive to the casual ear. If
you're a musician learning to play it, it sounds fantastic. If you're
just listening to it being played... the genius of it doesn't really
come across all that much.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/