POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Gamma correction of input colours/image files : Re: Gamma correction of input colours/image files Server Time
17 May 2024 16:53:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma correction of input colours/image files
From: Warp
Date: 16 Nov 2008 06:31:03
Message: <49200477@news.povray.org>
Allen <bri### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> I partially agree that it can be annoying.  But I like being able to specify
> color rgb 0.25 and it mean 25% gray

  What do you mean by "25% gray"? It could mean one of two different things:

- The pixel (if completely non-shaded) ends up having a value of (64, 64, 64)
  in a 24 bits-per-pixel image.

- The brightness of the pixel will be exactly 1/4 of the maximum brightness.

  Those two things are totally different. A pixel value of (64, 64, 64) might
not be even close to 1/4 of the maximum brightness of a pixel on your
display.

  Which one do you mean?

> if the input was taken as a gamma
> corrected value I may have to do something like color rgb 0.53 to get the same
> result on one monitor (gamma 2.2) and 0.56 for a different monitor (gamma
> 0.56).

  Well, the whole idea with gamma correction is that it's enough for you
to specify just the value "rgb 0.25" and then with gamma correction make
it look exactly 1/4 of the maximum brightness in your display. You just
adjust the gamma correction rather than the color values.

  OTOH IMO gamma correction should not be force-fed, and it should be
possible to turn it completely off. Sometimes you *want* "rgb 0.25" to
mean exactly the pixel value (64, 64, 64) and nothing else, regardless
of how it may *look* on the screen. Images are sometimes used for purposes
other than just displaying them, and gamma correction might just be a
hindrance than anything else.

--
                                                          - Warp