POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Imagining things : Re: Imagining things Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Imagining things
From: Daniel Nilsson
Date: 11 Nov 2008 15:54:59
Message: <4919f123$1@news.povray.org>
Christian Froeschlin wrote:
> People will be disappointed with the real building after this ;)
>
> BTW, it lead me to wonder how one could specify a texture
> in POV-Ray which is 100% transparent and *additionally* has
> energy coming from diffuse lighting. I know that reflection
> will be added unless you use conserve_energy, but diffuse?

I haven't used povray for quite some time but I still lurk here to see
all beautiful images other people make (like he one in this thread). I
go out of lurk mode because I think I have the solution to the problem.
Use very close to 100% transmit and a very high diffuse value to
compensate. IIRC the formula should be like this:
diffuse = 1000
transmit = 1.0 - 1.0 / diffuse
I used that trick in an image once but I didn't invent it, the credits
should go to someone else but I can't remember who.

--
Daniel