POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : something strange outside... : Re: something strange outside... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 12:26:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: something strange outside...
From: andrel
Date: 4 Nov 2008 15:46:15
Message: <4910B4ED.80509@hotmail.com>
On 04-Nov-08 4:36, RobF wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
>> Interesting to see so much different opinions on one simple part. To me
>> the cell phone woman looks like a cardboard, IMHO there is something
>> wrong with the aspect ratio. Most notably in the upper part of the
>> figure. I might be biased by knowledge, but when I first read the
>> comment all that remained was that the foreground people were not
>> cardboard. After deciding that also the phone woman looked like
>> cardboard I reread and saw Rob mentioned the foreground *couple*.
>>
>> Question to Rob: are all cardboards perpendicular to the line of sight?
>> and if not did you stretch the images to correct for that angle?
>
> Yes, the billboards are y-axis rotated to be perpendicular to the camera.

Ok, but my question was: did you correct for a possible the difference
in angle between the two renderings?

> However, what you may have noticed is that the person was rendered with an
> orthographic projection (which was easier to setup that a perspective
> projection).
>
> I experimented with a perspective projection which gave a more three dimensional
> appearance, IMHO.
>
> I've attached an image for comparison
>
> More info about the billboards is here:
> http://fitzel.ca/dart/crowds/crowds.html
>
> Thanks for the feedback!

The only one that does not look flat is the 3D model. I have trouble
telling why, perhaps it is the lighting. It can't be the whole story
however as I can not tell if she is standing in the shade (when the
lighting might be correct) or not totally as the 3D model seems to show
(though that could be because she is not exactly in the same spot).

Then there is also the problem with how the feet touch the street. I
noticed that already with e.g. the man in jeans on the left. It might be
that they are rendered standing much closer to the camera than the
billboard does in the final scene.

I am a bit confused.

BTW did I tell you I like the scene regardless of these minor things?